California Bankruptcy Lawyers Find Effective Solutions
Representing debtors throughout the state in personal and business bankruptcy
At the Law Offices of Michael Jay Berger, I represent debtors and creditors in bankruptcy proceedings throughout California. Filing bankruptcy is complicated, but I can make it simple for you. If you are being hounded by creditors, I can help you legally erase your debts and get a fresh start. If your business needs reorganization, I can help you obtain protection from your creditors while you reorganize. My fee is always much less than the amount I save you. My initial consultation is always free.
Adroit bankruptcy specialist provides high-quality bankruptcy representation
My bankruptcy clients trust me with their cases because they benefit from my:
- Knowledge — I am a California board-certified specialist in bankruptcy law and hold an AV Preeminent® Rating by Martindale Hubbell for high ethical standards and professional abilities. I have maintained this rating every year since 1995! I am a Mensa-certified genius with a strong ability to analyze and solve problems. I know the law and I know the courts, the judges, and the trustees. I know the local rules and the other California bankruptcy attorneys. I can guide you through any bankruptcy proceeding.
- Track record — My firm is the California leader in filing Chapter 11s, and confirming Chapter 11 Reorganization Plans. This includes both regular Chapter 11s and Subchapter V reorganizations for small businesses. We I handle emergency cases that other lawyers refuse to take. In 41 years of practice, I have been 100 percent successful in stopping foreclosures, even when I have been hired one day before the foreclosure sale.
- Technological efficiency — I use state-of-the-art technology, including Best Case Bankruptcy software, CourtDrive and the U.S. Bankruptcy Court’s PACER system, which enables me to review and download detailed information on all bankruptcy cases filed since 1999. I use CIN Legal Data Services to instantly get your credit records to aid in the preparation of your bankruptcy schedules. All of my employees use ACT! Premium Version 24 to manage their contacts and calendars.
The attorneys at my firm are responsive to clients at all times — receiving and replying to calls, e-mails, and texts even when out of the office.
Determined lawyer handles an array of bankruptcy and debt-relief services
My firm is experienced and adept in all forms of bankruptcy and related legal remedies, including:
- Chapter 7 — Individuals and businesses may file for relief under Chapter 7 of the Bankruptcy Code, which wipes out most of their debts. Although this remedy requires the sale of nonexempt assets to partially repay creditors, The vast majority of my individual Chapter 7 clients are able to exempt all of their assets from liquidation under California law. Individuals with debts that are primarily consumer debts must satisfy a means test to be eligible for Chapter 7. Individuals with debts that are mostly business debts do not have to pass the means test. I do not recommend Chapter 7 for corporations or LLC, as they are not entitled to exemptions, not eligible for discharge, and usually get an investigation from the Chapter 7 Trustee that starts with give me your bank records, credit card records and QuickBooks file, and soon proceeds to the Trustee suing one or more insiders of the debtor.
- Chapter 13 — Debt reorganization under Chapter 13 is for individuals who either do not qualify for or prefer not to use Chapter 7. This process restructures their debts through a court-sanctioned repayment plan that takes three to five years to complete, after which most remaining debts are discharged.
- Chapter 11 — Businesses and individuals can use Chapter 11 to reorganize their debts. Subchapter V of Chapter 11 offers a simplified reorganization procedure for small businesses. Chapter 11 reorganizations are the biggest part of my bankruptcy law practice.
- Non-bankruptcy debtor remedies — My firm provides a number of other services for individuals and businesses who want to ease their debt burdens without resorting to bankruptcy, including restructuring business debts, and working out consumer and business debt settlements.
My law firm analyzes the needs of each client in order to decide which of these options may be best under the circumstances. Once I undertake to represent you, I will vigorously pursue your interests in and out of bankruptcy court.
Contact a dedicated California bankruptcy attorney for a free consultation
If you are considering filing for bankruptcy and would like to discuss the specific facts of your case, please call me now at 310-271-6223 or contact me online for a free initial consultation. My staff is fluent in English, Spanish, Farsi, Armenian, Russian, and Mandarin Chinese. The office is open Monday through Friday 8:00 am to 7:00 pm and on Saturdays from 12:00 noon to 5:00 pm. I check my messages and e-mail throughout the day and at night and on weekends too. I return all calls and e-mails promptly.
We are a debt relief agency. We help people file for bankruptcy relief under the Bankruptcy Code.