Certified Specialist in Bankruptcy
In order to be identified as a “certified” specialist in California, an attorney must be certified either by The State Bar of California Board of Legal Specialization, or an organization whose certification program has been accredited by the State Bar. My Senior Associate Attorney Sofya Davtyan and I are two of only 155 attorneys in the entire state of California that are certified by the State Bar of California as legal specialists in Bankruptcy Law. We are the only 2 certified specialists in Bankruptcy Law in Beverly Hills, California.
I represent debtors and creditors in Chapter 7, 11 and 13 bankruptcy proceedings throughout Southern California. I know the law and I know the courts, the judges and the trustees. I know the local rules and I know the other local bankruptcy attorneys. I can guide you through any bankruptcy proceeding.
To be eligible for certification, an attorney must:
- Have been engaged in the practice of law in the area in which certification is sought for a minimum of 25 percent of the time the attorney has spent in occupational endeavors during the previous five years. I have spent more than 95% of my time as an attorney on bankruptcy matters.
- Bankruptcy Law applicants must also be admitted and in good standing before at least one United States District Court within the State of California. I am in good standing before all District Courts within the State of California.
- Must pass a 6 hour written exam. I took the test and I passed the test the first time that I took it, just as I passed the bar exam the first time I took it in 1981. I have been certified as a legal specialist in bankruptcy law since September 1, 2006.
- Demonstrate a high level of experience in the specialty field by meeting specific task and experience requirements. The applicant must have personally appeared on behalf of a client or clients in 100 or more chapter 7, 11, 12, or 13 bankruptcy cases, contests matters, and /or adversary proceedings under the Code. I have personally appeared on behalf of clients in thousands of Chapter 7, 11, and 13 bankruptcy cases and adversary proceedings.
- Complete at least 45 hours of continuing education in the specialty field. I fulfilled this requirement with ease. I continue to participate in bankruptcy continuing education programs every month, including programs put on by the Beverly Hills Bar Association Bankruptcy Section, the Los Angeles Bankruptcy Forum, the California Bankruptcy Forum, the Central District Consumer Bankruptcy Attorneys Association and the American Bankruptcy Institute. Every year, I participate in the California Bankruptcy Forum’s Annual Insolvency Conference, where I go on vacation with the Bankruptcy Court Judges and learn from them. Starting in 2015, I began to take all of my attorneys with me so they could learn from and socialize with the judges too.
- Be favorably evaluated by other attorneys, trustees and judges that are familiar with the attorney’s work. In addition to being favorably evaluated by other attorneys, trustees and judges that are familiar with my work, my firm and I have received consistently outstanding reviews from our clients. Many of their reviews are set forth on Citysearch and on Google .